Margaritaville

Margaritaville
Margaritaville - Cozumel, Mexico

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Your Dallas Museum Sherpa? Perhaps Someday!

Okay, I have a problem and here it is.  On July 3rd I went to the new George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum here in Dallas on the SMU campus.  It was cool.  I enjoyed it and thought I might go back some other time when I could spend more time walking around.  Then this morning I woke up to hear the Gentle Musers in the Morning on the radio discussing a trip that they took to the library in question yesterday.  I guess it was yesterday, the discussion was already in progress when my radio turned on to wake me up.  The issue is that they were talking about stuff that I didn't even see while I was there.  Or if I saw it, I didn't realize what I was seeing!  Now, I feel that I must go back soon!

As I was leaving the museum in July, I was thinking, you know in a few years when I have a visitor in town, I'll take them and see things that I missed.  But now, I'm thinking that I need to go back and really dig into it all so that if someone comes to town and wants to go, I'll be able to show them all that I missed on my first trip.  I think it's my duty as a Dallasite to know the local museums and be able to guide my family and friends through them when they visit.  After all, there isn't much else to do with visitors in Dallas especially in the summer when it's 1,000 degrees outside.

I also need to revisit the 6th Floor Museum for the same reason.  I've only been once in all these years.  I was also with my parents on that occasion and we were so clueless that day that we just road DartRail downtown and decided once we were there to go see the 6th Floor Museum.  It was packed for an early Saturday morning in November.  Then about an hour after we arrived, I turned to my mother and said, "What day is it?"  Turns out we were there on November 22nd, the anniversary of the assassination.  Durh!  Apparently it's their busiest day each year.  Take my word for it, find another day during the year to go.

I think I'm pretty well versed in the Dallas Museum of Art but I've only been to the Nasher once.  There are many museums in Dallas that I have never been to.  Let's face it, I've spent more time in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC than I have in most of the museums in my own city.  It's appalling really.  So, here's my vow.  I will visit one museum a month over then next year until I have been to each of the museums in Dallas.  Tuesday's are a good day for me since I have very few training webinars on Tuesday's and my weekend email is always cleaned up by the end of the day on Monday.  Starting with Tuesday September 10th, the second Tuesday of each month will become museum day.

I'm a very strange person and I'm fully aware of that fact.  But one of my minor goals in life is to be considered a "destination expert" on Trip Advisor.  I know, weak goal, right?  Some people want to move mountains, I'd just like to be able to recommend the best part of the mountain for tourists to visit.  It's all about knowing your place in life and owning it.  I'm not a mountain mover.  I don't want to be.  It's too much responsibility and what happens if you don't happen to get the mountain moved?  Then you're a failure, right? I think being the mountain guide is a much better position.  I mean, as a mountain guide, there is little likely hood of  failure.  Plus the guide gets to see the mountain on a regular basis, the person whose goal is to move it may only see it once.

It's like the Sherpas who take people up Mt. Everest.  They're not really celebrated even though they have one of the most dangerous jobs in the world. They go up there every year carrying huge packs for the celebrated mountain climbers, going ahead to get the trail ready and putting guide ropes in place.  Basically, when the mountain climber goes up, it's not much more than a Sunday stroll for him since the Sherpa did all of the heavy lifting before he arrived at each crevice or pass.  Meanwhile, you never really hear much about the Sherpas.  They just sit in the background while the mountain climber is interviewed on TV following his big climb up Everest.  The Sherpa is thinking to himself the hole time, Big Deal Buddy!  I've done it 10 times and if I hadn't gotten the trail ready for you, you wouldn't have done it once!  Yep!  I want to be able to think of myself as the Dallas Museum Sherpa!  A lofty goal, I'm sure you will agree.

So now all that is left to decide is which museum should I go to first?  I'll let you know when I've decided. This is going to be fun!  Have a great Hump Day.... "Hey Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike... What day is it Mike?  HUMP Daaaaa-aaaay!"

No comments:

Post a Comment