Margaritaville

Margaritaville
Margaritaville - Cozumel, Mexico

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Top Ten Places to "Get Away From It All"

Getting away from it all.... that's the trick, right?  It's what we all strive to do on a regular basis.  Maybe the hardest part of getting away from it all isn't in the "getting away" part, but in figuring out what "it all" is.  For you "it all" might entail a tedious 60 hour a week job that becomes an 80 hour a week job if you count the hours of sleep that you lose over it each week.  To another person, it might mean the constant arguing with kids to get homework done, take baths and get in bed in a timely manner with somewhat clean teeth.  For yet other people perhaps "it all" is simply the constant motion and noise of a big city.

Regardless of what you are attempting to "get away" from, there is probably an ideal location in which you can escape.  For me, my ideal escape must have warm weather and salt water in the mix.  But maybe your get away is the slope of a snow covered mountain.  I haven't done a top ten list in a few weeks and I know that there has been a lot of clamoring for more of my top ten insight.  I know, you people starve for my knowledge.  So here are my thoughts....

10.)  Whistler, BC Canada - I don't care how warm and sunny the Caribbean is, just look at a few pictures on the Whistler tourism website and your troubles will begin to melt away.  Seriously, the picture below looks like one of those village scenes you display on your fireplace mantel at Christmas time.  How could you not want to be a part of that little Christmas village?  You can't!

9.)  Hawk's Cay Resort on Duck Key - Ummmm.... It's in the Keys.  Do you really need to hear more?  Okay then, how about this....  Not only do they have an exceptional conventional hotel and spa but the property also includes villas that you can rent by the week in which you have your own private pool just in case your "get away" does not include sharing chlorine with others.

8.)  Wild Dunes, South Carolina - I know what you are thinking... Who's taken over Susan's travel blog???!?!  But I'm still here.  Today's top ten list includes a little something for everyone.  Are you a golfer? Then perhaps you'll be interested in this top rated South Carolina golf course just 30 minutes from Charleston which incidentally is considered to be the the birthplace of golf in America.  There are only two words to describe this place - Beautiful and Peaceful!

7.)  San Juan Islands, Washington - On the day that I visited the San Juan Islands I had left my purse containing my credit cards, drivers license, money and lipstick in a Starbucks in Lynnwood and did not get it back until late that evening and STILL it was one of the most relaxing days of my life.  I'm just saying, this is a laid back part of the world.  In my mind, it would be the perfect place to rent a house for a week and forget that the rest of the world even exists.
Downtown Friday Harbor

6.)  Grand Wailea - Maui, Hawaii - Maui was voted "best island in the world" by Conde Naste readers for the 17th time this year.  The readers of the Maui News voted the Grand Wailea the best Resort, Restaurant and Resort Spa of 2012 which I guess means that the Grand Wailea is quite simply the BEST.  I haven't been there, but with all of those "bests" how can you possibly go wrong?

5.)  Santorini Island, Greece - Now, this is my idea of an island get away.  In fact, if I went there I'm not sure I would ever want to get back to here.  The Santorini 360 degree view on this site will show you everything you would need to know before booking your trip to paradise.

4.)  Blue Hole of Belize - Okay, you don't have to say it.  It is a hole in the water.  You can't stay there.  I understand that.  But there are a myriad of places on land near the Blue Hole where you can stay so that you can dive at the Blue Hole.  Just look at the picture below and tell me you don't want to experience this!  I dare you!

3.)  Overwater Bungalows in Bora Bora - Hey!  I didn't say these "get aways" were affordable, I said they were away and they are.  WAAAAAY away!!!!  How many times have you dreamed of going to a place like the one in the picture below?  Just imagine walking down those steps and into the crystal clear waters of the South Pacific.  You know you want it....

2.)  Christmas European River Cruise - What better way to get away from the hustle and bustle of a commercial American Christmas than by floating down the Danube in the luxury cabin of a riverboat as you stop in various cities to enjoy centuries old churches and villages?  I'm in!

1.)  Sugar Ridge - Jolly Harbour, Antigua - I have only two words for you.... All Inclusive.


I hope you have enjoyed my Top Ten Places to Get Away From It All.  I know I enjoyed looking them up on the internet.  Whether you agree with the order that I have placed them in or not, you must agree that any of them would be a welcome vacation.  Have a great Thursday!

1 comment: